I'm thrilled because I was able to review a company that is widely known, TruGreen. TruGreen, the nation’s largest professional lawn and landscape care service, is passionate about educating Americans that trees need regular care to maintain their health and beauty. TruGreen launched its specialized tree and shrub care service along with its TruStories Sweepstakes with a $25,000 MasterCard reward card grand prize.
According to Ben Hamza, Ph.D., director of technical operations at TruGreen, there are a few lawn and landscape tips to prepare your yard for a healthy summer:
1. Clean Area: Thoroughly clear dead leaves and debris from flower beds and lawn that may impede new growth.
2. Prune: Conduct corrective pruning of trees and shrubs to enhance plant appearance and vigor, and thin rather than top-shear overgrown shrubs and trees to preserve their overall shape. Make sure not to prune trees and shrubs that bloom in early spring, with the exception of removing dead branches.
3. Mulch: When your lawn is actively growing, return grass clippings back to the soil for added lawn nutrients and consider using composted materials to nourish plants. Apply three inches of organic mulch to base of shrubs and trees to help conserve soil moisture and to reduce weed pressure, but be mindful not to cover the flare of the tree base.
4. Right Plant, Right Place: Plant the right type of grass for your lawn to ensure a green, healthy turf. Where grass has difficulty growing, plant shade-adapted ground covers for landscape appeal.
5. Feed: Lawn, tree and shrub roots seek nourishment after the dormancy of winter. Keep fertilizer on target to prevent run-off and sweep fertilizer granules that may reach pavement back onto your lawn. Use a trained professional company, such as TruGreen, that offers customized solutions to lawn and landscape problems based on your region’s needs.
6. Check Irrigation: Follow the owner’s operating manual to take an automated sprinkler system out of hibernation. Ensure sprinkler heads and related water lines are working properly. Give your lawn a slow, steady watering about once a week, but adjust depending upon rainfall, grass and soil type in your area. Also ensure the irrigation system covers your landscape efficiently. For example, you can place a one-inch deep food can in the middle of the lawn area to measure the depth of water collected after each watering cycle to ensure uniformity.
Chance to Create the Ultimate Outdoor Oasis
Part of TruGreen’s innovative approach is providing a customized care plan that reflects the unique growing conditions, qualities and character of each lawn and landscape. TruGreen is celebrating homeowners’ real stories for creating their ideal outdoor living rooms by offering the TruGreen TruStories Sweepstakes. One Grand Prize winner will receive a $25,000 MasterCard reward card, perfect for creating a backyard oasis to share with family and friends.
In addition, 50 first prize $500 MasterCard reward cards and 38 weekly prize $250 MasterCard reward cards will be awarded. The sweepstakes is open to legal U.S. residents 18 years or older. Go to www.TruGreenSweepstakes.com/winnow through October 16, 2011, to enter and to obtain official sweepstakes rules. Entrants can also participate by printing their name, complete address, daytime and evening phone numbers, age, email address and “The TruStories Sweepstakes” on a 3”x5” card and mail it to: “The TruStories Sweepstakes,” P.O. Box 511215, New Berlin, WI 53151 or “The TruStories Sweepstakes,” P.O. Box 511425, New Berlin, WI 53151. No purchase is necessary to enter or to win.
Want more information about TruGreen? TruGreen collaborated with Memphis Botanic Garden to launch My Botanic Planet, a free online educator resource to inspire K-5 students' interest in the diverse plant world. Go to www.mybotanicplanet.comto access national standardized lessons in botany and related games and activities to organize with your children.
TruGreen is also helping out on the home front. Our troops have sacrificed greatly for our freedom, and to honor the commitments these brave men and women have made, TruGreen wants to give something back. That’s why for every Like they receive at www.facebook.com/trugreen, they will donate $1 — up to $10,000 — to Project EverGreen’s GreenCare for Troops.
GreenCare’s hundreds of volunteers provide free lawn care and landscaping to thousands of military families with a loved one serving abroad. So help TruGreen help our troops today. Simply take a moment to visit their Facebook page and encourage your friends to do the same. Together, we can say thank you one yard at a time. If you would like to learn more about GreenCare for Troops, go to http://www.projectevergreen.com/gcft.
Win a $125 giftcard to TruGreen!
Please leave a comment below why you would love to win this giftcard! That is the only requirement! Woohoo, soooooo much easier to enter :)
Want to up your chances to win though? Head over to TrueGreen's Facebook page and become a fan. Want to increase your chances even more??? Become a follower of my blog :)
Winner will be announced Friday, August 5, 2011 after 10 p.m. EST!