Hi guys! My name is Ashley and I am one of the new contributing writers here on Chic Style Modern! I love entertaining my friends and family and can't wait to share some of my favorite entertaining ideas with you guys! Cinco de Mayo is coming up next week and it is such a fun and easy holiday to incorporate into your everyday schedule. There are tons of easy, small ways to create your own little fiesta at home! Today I wanted to share a recipe with you, from one of my favorite sites, Recipe Girl. Margarita Cupcakes! These cupcakes are adorable and what's better than cupcakes and tequila mixed together?! They are simple to make, delicious, and the lime buttercream icing is to die for! I hope you enjoy!
Ingredients: Cake: 9 ouncesMargarita Mixer, bottled liquid 3 ouncestequila 3/4 ounceGrand Marnier 1 (18.25 ounce) boxwhite cake mix 3 largeegg whites 2 Tablespoonscanola oil 1 Tablespoonlime zest Lime Buttercream Icing: 1 cupunsalted butter, at room temperature 5 to 6 cupspowdered sugar 2 Tablespoonslime juice, freshly squeezed 1/8 teaspoonsalt 1 teaspoonlime zest
green food coloring, if desired
small lime slices for garnish, if desired
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line two dozen cupcake tins with paper liners.
2. Prepare cupcakes: Whisk together margarita mix, tequila and Grand Marnier in a small bowl. Measure out 1 1/4 cups for the recipe; pour the rest on some ice and drink it while making the cupcakes :)
3. In a large bowl, blend cake mix, egg whites, vegetable oil, lime zest and 1 1/4 cups of the margarita mix from step 1. Blend on low for about 30 seconds and then increase speed to medium and blend for two additional minutes. Batter will be slightly lumpy.
4. Spoon the batter into cupcake liners (about 3/4 full). Bake for 20-25 min, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cupcakes cool for about 10 minutes in the pans, then remove them to a rack to cool completely.
5. Prepare icing: Once cucpakes are completely cooled, prepare the icing. Place butter in a large bowl and beat with electric mixer until butter is fluffy. Add 5 cups of powdered sugar, salt, lime juice, and lime zest. Mix until thick and creamy. Add more powdered sugar until the frosting is of a good spreading (or piping) consistency. Mix in a tiny amount of green food coloring or gel paste if you'd like the frosting to have a green tint. Ice cupcakes in whatever manner you prefer... spreading or piping the frosting. Use small lime slices as garnish.